Sitemeter

Monday, April 6, 2009

BOTTLED BOATS




As most of you know a few of years ago I built a boat in a half gallon wine bottle, not in the usual way people do it by making a skinny little boat with a draw string on the mast which they then slide through the neck of the bottle then pull the mast up then claim to have built a boat in a bottle.

The first one I built was fashioned after a ship from a National Geographic article about a slave ship called Hentietta Marie which had some good pictures from which to work.

The model was 5.25"L, 1.25"W, 1.5"H not counting the mast height, the neck of the bottle had a .75" opening SO to build the boat I obviously had to assemble it inside the bottle, which I did. Somebody who saw it said "I know, you just put it in and pulled a string". Duh, he gave no thought to the boat being bigger than the neck of the bottle, which floored me because he is a smart guy. I let it go because I have no intention of telling how I did it anyway.

A few years ago I found a 1 gallon jug and I thought that I might do it again some time BUT it will be a much bigger boat. When we were on the Manitoba Trip I bought a diaghram of the ship Nonsuch that the Hudson Bay Co. first used in fur trading, with the intention of building another boat.

The problem is that it's kind of nerve wracking sorting out all the problems you encounter, then it becomes an obsession. The results were that in my mind, I have been building that boat for over a year then I started last fall preparing some material then started the project.

When I was 11 years old my Dad built a thing in a bottle which he called Jacob's Ladder. He wouldn't tell how he did it which pissed me off and I said some day I will do something better and I will never tell anybody how I did it.

Yesterday I finished Nonsuch which is 7.5"L, 2.25"W, 2.5" H not counting the mast and the neck of the bottle opening is .75".
The only problem that I forgot was to wash the jug before I started building the boat and it is in the way now.

11 comments:

Jojo said...

Neat!
Now I see where my sisters get some of their talents. Mom gets credit for the knitting of course.

SusanE said...

Very impressive. You have way more patience then I do.

Cherylinn said...

I'd like one with the titanic in it please.
I'm so impressed great job.

Fiddling Granny said...

That's freakin' awesome!! Funny that you forgot to wash out the bottle.LOL

Did the Missus get out of sorts when you started this one?

Good job!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Fiddling Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiddling Granny said...

Damn, clicked twice!

Fiddling Granny said...

If I call dibs will I get my name on the bottom of that one too??

Gryper said...

You take that up with your sisters

SusanE said...

Just cause you're oldest doesn't mean you can call everything first.

Cherylinn said...

HAHA! My name is already in place....sorry guys. But if dad does do the titanic for me, I will willing sign this one over to a person who doesn't already have their initials on one....

Homee Dad's View of Life said...

Gryper - I stand at wonder (somewheree between Kenora and New Market) - this is truely a feat that many would never attempt.

Great work

HD