Sitemeter

Saturday, July 24, 2010

THE CON MAN

On Jul.21 at 11:45A I was watching something on TV when the phone rang. I had the volume up too high to hear what the guy on the phone said clearly but heard Grandad and Grandson so I said wait till I turn the TV down. I then ask who is this. In a muffled voice he said something which made me think it was Thomas so I asked is this Tom, to which he replied in a muffled sad sounding voice, yes, I'm in trouble, I'm in jail, and need help and continued on with his story.

A friend who works for CTV gave me free tickets to a concert which included free car rental. I had a couple of drinks and got into an accident. I asked who were you with and he replied 3 friends, I asked What were their names, he replied, you don't know them so I said tell me anyway. He gave me three first names then continued. I now suspected something, but he went on, I have to pay for the repairs to the 2 cars plus a fine before they will release me. I have the money but they won't take a cheque so if you will help me out then I will repay you when I am out.

Now as most of you know, when somebody says the word MONEY to me, the complexion of things change. Before he could continue I asked "where were you born", he asked "what do you mean, where were you born" I said "It's a simple question, where were you born" after a slight pause he replied "Toronto". I then said "you were born in Toronto??". Click went the phone and that was the end of the conversation.

I then checked the phone and guess what, the number was on the display. I tried calling the number but the line was busy. I next called YRP and was given a number for Phone Busters which I called and reported the event. As it turns out, they are familiar with the number. This is a common ploy used to con Seniors and there are many victims.

Afterwards I was pissed off at me for repeating the questioning line "you were born in Toronto??" because I should have just said "OK" and let him continue on. I could have had so much fun with him, if I hadn't tipped him off.

However the main point of this blog is to advise everybody who reads it, Let any Senior you know about this con because he is very good at what he does, He speaks in a low, sad, sounding voice and could be very believable.

PHONE BUSTERS number is 1 888 495 8501: or www.recol.ca

PS If ever I get another call like this, I won't be so quick to tip him off, it could be fun.

7 comments:

Stephanie, Matt, Kaden and Ireland said...

lol that hilarious.. well not what the man is doing but yeah it would have been fun to keep him going....

fast thinking though to ask where he was born...

Jojo said...

Good for you Gryper! Hopefully you've slowed the B------ down. I've read about this scam in the paper.

Prince Charming said...

You mean that wasn't Tom?? DAMN I just gave him $10,000

SusanE said...

Hey PC, I was out drinking with some friends of mine today....

Good one Dad. You're still a pretty smart guy.

Laura said...

http://www.977thebeach.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=26471

Prince Charming said...

Oh no not again aunt susan!!!! Should i put my visa number on here or call you with it

SusanE said...

Call me... or better yet, come up for a visit.