Sitemeter

Friday, May 6, 2011

NO PICTURES

On Wednesday I decided to go back to the library for another look for the pictures. I started at Nov. 16 througt to Dec.27, no luck so I headed home. After having missed the bus last time I jogged down Yonge St to the subway because the next bus departed Yorkdale at 12.25 and I knew it was going to be close, the next bus is 2 hours. When I got to the subway the train was right there, wow what luck so I jumped on it. The bugger didn't leave for 5 min. As we went through each station I kept looking at my watch and, yes I will, no I won't all the way to Yorkdale. We arrived at Yorkdale at 12.22 so I ran to the Bus Terminal. The bus had closed the door but I made it. The bus driver said " you still had 30 seconds".



At home I rechecked all the newspaper articles that Mum had cut out of the paper in 1944 and all written ones were The Telegram but nothing on the pictures gave a clue. Could it be that somebody who got the Star gave her the pictures from the Star?..I know what the next step is BUT.








Jojo asked what else I remember SO here it is.








It was probably at the CNE coliseum where it actully took place.




I was standing on a railing holding onto a post with my left hand Grandad was beside me, Granny, Mum, Ellen & Johnny were behind me at my 4 o'clock. The returning troupes marched in and grandad said I will find him, wait here. After a while I saw a Glengary Cap heading our way and I just knew it was Dad so I jumped off the railing and heard Mum yell "Tommy come back here" but I ran through the crowd and grabbed his hand he said " Hi Bud" then I asked "what happened to your finger" he said "a parrot bit it off" (It took till the late 1990's to find out what had happened) . We all got in Grandad's 1937 Chev. and went home. ( I bought the car off him in1953-4).



At home with my welcome sign Dad, uncle Tom

and Johnny.




Mum & Dad



SO that was Christmas 1944

6 comments:

SusanE said...

Thanks for sharing that. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. (at a loss for words.... doesn't happen often)

Jojo said...

I thank you to Gryper. Your little heart must have been pounding in your chest with excitement when you touched his hand. What a wonderful day for your family!
Any chance you could share the story about the missing finger?

Cherylinn said...

That is wicked.....

Gryper said...

Briefly, they were on a 5 man scout mission when they came on a abandend German 20mm loaded gun in a pit and below them was a live German tank. They turned the 20mm on the tank and Dad fired at the tank. The tank returned fire,1 man killed,1 lost an eye, 2were not hurt and Dad lost part of his finger.

Fiddling Granny said...

That's the first time I've heard that story! (way behind on my blog reading!

Fiddling Granny said...

Chcked follow ups